When you first start learning about all of the nutritional and healing benefits of hemp it is a bit astonishing. You can’t help thinking, ‘where have you been all my life’? Of course, we know the answer to that. Hemp has been under prohibition, however, that was then, and this is now!
It all starts with the mighty hemp seed, which provides hemp oil, hemp milk, hemp butter and hemp powder. Hemp seeds are rich in healthy fats and essential fatty acids. They are also a powerful protein source with high amounts of Vitamin E, potassium, phosphorus, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc.
As a matter of fact, one serving of hemp powder delivers fiber and all of the above nutrients, in addition to, all 8 essential amino acids, making it a perfect protein.
Then, there is hemp milk, rich, creamy and full of all of the goodness of the mighty hemp seed. The good news is that it is easy to make yourself with organic hulled hemp seeds, also known as hemp seed hearts! Get out your blender! Here is an easy, delicious recipe:
1 cup of shelled hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
5 cups of fresh water
Sweetener to taste-cane sugar, coconut sugar, organic vanilla, your preference
Put hemp seeds and water in a high-speed blender.
Turn blender on high for 2 minutes, or until your hemp milk reaches your preferred consistency.
You can add the sweetener after blending.
The hemp milk can be strained in cheesecloth or left as is.
Your hemp milk will stay fresh, sealed in a glass container, in the fridge for 3 days.
If you don’t strain it, just shake it before using, as it will separate.
You can use the hemp milk on your cereals, in your smoothies, or in any recipe that calls for milk.
But wait…there’s more!
Here’s another ‘Decadent but Not Really’ recipe for all of the chocolate lovers, which it seems, includes almost everyone! This is the ‘Creamy Chocolate Hemp Smoothie for Two ‘ from Oh She Glows:
Creamy Chocolate Hemp Smoothie for Two
- 2 cups almond milk (see note)
- 2-3 pitted large Medjool dates, to taste (I use 2)
- 3 tablespoons Organic cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons hulled hemp seed
- 1 large peeled and frozen banana
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 large ice cubes
- Add all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until super smooth.
1) This recipe yields a fairly thin consistency. If you want a thicker shake-like texture, try reducing the milk to 1.5 cups instead of 2 cups or go wild and add a scoop of your favorite non-dairy ice cream. 2) If your dates are a bit firm or dry, soak them in water for 30-60 minutes before making this smoothie. You can also swap the dates for another sweetener if desired. Just reduce the almond milk a bit so it's not too thin.
* NOTE: You could also use hemp milk instead of almond milk…and add organic natural vanilla.
When you try the Hemp Milk and Smoothie recipes let us know how you liked them! Also, let us know of any innovations you added to the recipe. After all, we are all in pursuit of fun, healthy and delicious ways to be our best feeling selves!
Also, stay tuned for more great news and special offers by signing up for the Hemp Element Newsletter Here